60 DAYS OF GAMING: DECADE ANNIVERSARY - DAY 11: Gaming System of Choice

Then: PC

Now: Still the PC




I was speaking from a safe space last decade, so my opinion could have easily been dismissed as a biased, PCMR one.

(For the record, I consider every system fanboy a toxic part of gaming in general)

Now that I've poured many hours into other mainstream systems (Xbox 360, One, PS3, PS4, Wii, DS, 3DS, VITA and even went back for even older systems such as the original chunky Xbox and PS2), I still cannot choose anything other than the PC.

Yes, it's a lot more expensive than gaming on a console initially. To build a PC that can handle current games as well as consoles is easy in theory but usually you have to overshoot due to poor code optimisation.

But it saves you money in the long run as games on PC are a lot cheaper when publishers don't have to pay Microsoft and Sony their cut.

Yes, it's a little bit more complicated to troubleshoot an issue, if an issue occurs.

But you have an almost endless backlog of games thanks to nigh-limitless backwards compatibility.

Add to that the ability to emulate older systems on your PC, and that list grows even longer.

Honest to goodness, I firmly believe the only reasons to buy a console are:

1. You want a simpler, secondary gaming/media system for your living room or bedroom (mostly applicable to Xbox nowadays)

2. You want to play certain titles exclusive to the platform (only applicable to Playstation and Switch)

A decade on, I stand by what I had said. The PC remains the thinking gamer's choice.


Comments

Popular Posts