WoW spammers are getting creative...

...but it's still not enough, I'm afraid. I just received this e-mail, complete with pictures, frames, the whole shebang. At first glance, it might seem genuine. A closer look to its text, though, reveals the telltale signs of a spammer/hacker/gold-farmer. Can you tell me what's wrong with this picture? Let's break it down. I'll point stuff out in parentheses.

"Greetings!

When you take to the skies astride a blazing, eagle-winged lion, your comrades will know you mean business. Serious business. So saddle up, because this flying mount will travel as fast as your riding skill will take you, and it can even travel at 310% speed if you have at least one other 310% speed mount. (Incorrect, the Master Riding skill takes care of that. Most likely bits of this paragraph are nicked from an actual WoW ad)

Once activated, this World of Warcraft in-game pet key applies to all present and future characters on a single World of Warcraft license. (So, wait, you mean pets can be used as mounts too? Should I mount my guild page? He looks like he wants me to, even though his back might break)

we (The "w" should be capital) will be complimentary seat (don't you mean "sending one"?) to the ("the"?) 5,000 players. You can log Web site application, we will be lucky players randomly. (umm...what?)
Please click this link to apply

(Link withheld)

If your account passes the check successfully (What check?), we will send (to whom?) a code for the Winged Guardian flying mount to you (Ah, gotcha. Wrong syntax there) in the form of (an) e-mail. (Can't you do it in the form of an eagle?)

The World of Warcraft Support Team
Blizzard Entertainment"

See what they tried to do there? Yup: they tried to get me worked up about the mount, click on their link, log in their fake website, get my username and password and shard my epics. Don't let this happen to you.

Comments

Popular Posts